Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Auzara Interview


1. Tell us a little about you and your work. Why did you choose the charities you have chosen for your work?


I've been volunteering since I could stand. At first I tagged along with my mother's causes. As I became a young adult I wanted to get my peers involved, so I founded a Ruriteen branch in my high-school. As the name suggests, we worked closely with a local branch of the Ruritans. It was exciting to see my peers become passionate about volunteering and learn the skill necessary to take an idea and make it a reality. When I was 19 an uncle I was close to passed away unexpectedly. I had worked with him in his contracting company. I felt like the best way to honor his memory was to use the skills he'd taught me to better other people's life. With that intention, I shifted my focus to Habitat for Humanity and Christmas in April (now known as Rebuilding Together).

2. How do you donate to them?

In the past, my donations have been in the form of organization and physical labor. I've spent many volunteer hours organizing volunteers or doing actual physical construction. I love that in both these organization this allows me to meet and interact with the people who will be benefiting from my efforts.

Recently I've been experiencing medical troubles which have prevented me from being physically active, so I've had to shift my efforts from physical labor to fund-raising. I was able to raise funds to sponsor the repairs needed for a Rebuilding Together project. I now intend to raise money for Habitat for Humanity by sharing a dollar from each photograph I sell to Habitat for Humanity.

3. How much have you donated to them so far?

As I am new to Etsy and have not made a sale yet, I have yet to make a donation in the name of my photography. As you can see though I've had a long history of supporting the organization. I'm 27 now, so 8 years of volunteering with them.

4. How do you feel that your art influences the people that receive it?

I think my photography captures the peace and tranquility of rural living. As more of us congregate in suburban and urban areas, I think we're losing touch with nature and it's calming influence. I grew up on a farm, in a rural area and every time I visit my home I'm struck by how much happier people seem there. I also like to take pictures that highlight our interaction with our environment; regardless of what we create or build nature eventually erodes unattended roads, vehicles and structures.

5. Do you have any artwork that represents the charity you donate to?

I don't have any pictures of buildings or homes, but for me the volunteer work I've done with Habitat for Humanity was never about the homes we were building. For me that volunteer work was about the people we were helping and our impact on their environment.

I think the spirit of my artwork reflects that the things we collect and the activities we schedule for ourselves are dwarfed by the beauty around us that passes largely unnoticed and unappreciated. I think once this realization is made, we can move outside of ourselves and see how we can participate in this beautiful world. Once you see how much you have, then you become aware of how much you can give.

6. How can we learn more about you and the charity you help out?

There isn't much to learn about me. Having been knocked off my feet by a chronic illness, I've had the good fortune of rebuilding a life that gives me great peace. My photography is featured in my Etsy store and it will tell you more about me than words can. If one of my pieces touches you and you wish you purchase it, mention that you found me through this article and I'll double my normal donation from your purchase.

If my artwork doesn't speak to you, I hope my cause does. You can find out more about what you can do to help provide or repair shelter for those in need by visiting Richmond, Virginia's chapter of Rebuilding Together & habitat for humanity.

: 7. How do you think we could improve or beginning charity "art=food?"

I think the article you listed with many links, could be converted to sidebar links so that they will remain available after that article is no longer on the first page.

Many grocery stores have existing donation programs in place at check out, perhaps you can inquire as to how the existing program was established and get in touch with the people who helped create it. Because of your particular focus, you might see if rather than (or in addition to) targeting grocery stores you focus on craft stores (ben franklin, michael's etc)

...

Auzara (which is a truly unique name. Not to be found on Wikipedia, or dictionary.com & seriously curious about its meaning) has a camera and a heart full of color and warmth. I'm proud of her for the work she does and having many close family members myself, I can understand keeping the flame of their spirit going by actual work. I think this may have even inspired me to get up and start organizing the house tomorrow-you know, stop moping about You's short deployment. I really appreciated her wise advice about our beginning charity (I never thought to contact the art stores too, duh!). Thank-You Auzara for what you do & we're looking foward to more pictures and getting the etsy donations rolling!
[my favorite part was her quote which I used for a post title & when she talked about what is greater than we all are that is right outside in the open. I'm totally dreading New York City Streets; but I'll have to make them beautiful!]

Please Help Start out this Darling Store
( & get the double donation....and or donate yourself!)
and
rebuilding the lives of those who need extra hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment