Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lamaworks Interview

1. Tell us a little about you and your work. Why did you choose the charities you have chosen for your work?
Lamaworks is a store created by a girl that likes to be crafty, but has no need to keep all of these craft projects for herself. Outside of my full time job I love to keep busy with different craft projects and Etsy has been a great way for me to be creative and share my ideas and my art with the rest of the world. What I make depends on my mood and what I’m interested in at the time. I have a large contingency of knitted items such as socks, scarves, hats and baby items. I also love card making so I have some stationary sets and wedding products.


Right now I am donating 10% of my proceeds to the American Cancer Society. A good friend of mine, Matt Wessel, is a singer/songwriter (www.mattwesselmusic.com). He began writing music as a way to cope with the death of his father when he was in high school. Since then he has started to perform his annual “Concert for Life” in memory of not only his father, but others in his community that are fighting, have fought or have been lost to cancer. We are all touched by cancer, and no one can escape knowing someone who is fighting it, young and old.

This year was his 9th annual concert and he challenged us each to make a difference. He challenged us each to be creative and find $100 to donate at next years show, but it couldn’t be our own money. Think about this … if 1000 people that were at that concert, could raise just $100 over the next year, we’d have $100,000 to donate.

2. How do you donate to them?

Matt has set up the Carry On Campaign to follow those of us who have joined the fight. (http://www.mattwesselmusic.com/carryon.html). While the site is still under construction, it will be a great place to follow our progress. I am keeping track of all of my sales from this March through next March and have set aside 10% of the sales to donate at his show next year. I also have cards that I send along with all orders, letting the owner know how much of their sale will be donated.

3. How much have you donated to them so far?
So far I’m at $29.24 after 1 month!

4. How do you feel that your art influences the people that receive it?
I hope that everyone that receives it enjoys the hand made creation and feels good about making a difference to those with cancer.

5. Do you have any artwork that represents the charity you donate to?
Not yet, but I am teaming up with my dear friend Melissa in the upcoming weeks to start designing some Cancer products. She is currently fighting melanoma, and has a strong passion for awareness. She is designing cancer bracelets and we are going to work together on some stationary items that should come around in the next month or two.

6. How can we learn more about you and the charity you help out?
You can find out more about Matt Wessel at: www.mattwesselmusic.com
You can find out more about the Carry On Campaign at:http://www.mattwesselmusic.com/carryon.html
You can find out more about the ACS at: www.cancer.org.

7. How do you think we could improve or beginning charity "art=food?" (www.arte4phood.blogspot.com)
I love the idea of the site! I can’t wait to see it develop more. It will be nice to see how your charity starts from the ground up, something that could help others in their on ventures in charity work.
...
Bottom Line: I love the idea of music contributing to cancer in more than one way, and we're both excited for the concert for life. I love LamaWork's Spirit, and can't wait to see the cancer designs in the future. We truly are nothing without what we give and You & Me applaud this cute store. So, go on-be fashionable, be charitable, be LamaWorked.

...

...

Backstory:
Soon, we're going to start donating, too!
Learning about
these selfless givers gives us inspiration :)

factoid: You & Me met in a high-school called
It was an arts high-school that didn't have a mascot
but several referred to us as the "Fala Lamas"
hilarious

No comments:

Post a Comment